The idea for this cake and indeed growing beetroot came from my brother Ciaran. I didn’t think it sounded like a particularly tasty cake but then carrot cake is delicious so why not beetroot?! So I decided to give it a try. Here is the recipe and I can highly recommend giving it a go as it was a very tasty cake – I think it got tastier on the second day (no idea if it would have got tastier later as it was obviously already very tasty and there was none left!):
- First switch the oven on to 180 degrees C
- Grease a tin and line with greaseproof paper.
- Grate about 4oz of raw beetroot (straight from the garden if you grow it of course!)
- Melt 3oz of dark chocolate (preferably one with 75% cocoa) with 3 oz of butter – I use the glass bowl over a pan of boiling water method.
- Beat 2 eggs.
- Sift 8oz self-raising flour into a bowl
- 1oz cocoa powder
- 4oz caster sugar
- 1tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- grated beetroot, eggs, melted chocolate and butter
- Mix it all together to a dry dough-like consistency
- Put the mixture into the tin and squash down
- Cook for around 45 minutes depending on your oven (keep checking – use a knife and stick in, if it comes out clean then the cake’s ready!)
If you try it – let me know what you think, if you are giving to anyone else don’t mention the beetroot straight away and get their opinion before mentioning it!